Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ladies First - Yes or No?

Have you ever heard the phrase "ladies first?"

It started as a sign of respect for women. A man would hold a door open for a lady. If a line were forming, a gentleman would allow ladies to go first. The woman's movement curtailed a lot of the historical signs of respect and politeness, but not all. Many ladies still appreciate a seat on a crowded bus or a man holding a door.

Here is a familiar story: The Titanic hit an iceberg in 1912. “I was awakened by the shock of the collision and went out on deck. There was no great excitement and persons were coming out of their rooms and asking what had happened. Suddenly from the bridge or from some officer came the cry: “Ladies first”. This was my first inkling that we had that the ship was in danger. We went back to the stateroom and dressed. Then came the horrifying cry that women must leave their husbands and brothers and that no men should go in the boats." This quote is from the New York Tribune. http://derbyhistorical.org/Titanic.htm


Watch the video linked to the post title, by Marlo Thomas, of a story recorded in the 1960's.


What does your experience tell you about this issue? What are the merits of a "manner" or "code" that says girls and women deserve special treatment or preference because of something inherent in their gender? What would you do????

Respond in comments: click below.




18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thougt in that video ladies should not always be first. I think that everybody should be the same ladies are just like men.
by davante

Anonymous said...

I say NO because it is rude and not fun for anyone, so it is despicable.

Anonymous said...

I think its not fair that ladies are always first. I think that everybody should be equal, and that ladies should start holding doors for men so they can be equal.
Jade.

Anonymous said...

I say ladies first is unfair, because saying that is like you are trying to take control of people. And I say no!

Anonymous said...

I think ladies first is not fair.People should be allowed to play with what they want to play with.Boys should be allowed to play with a doll and girls should be allowed to play with lego.
Trene

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes ladies should be
first and sometimes they should be in the middle of the line. If it's an emergency the person that was there first should be the first one to get out.

Anonymous said...

During the time of the Titantic the men should have went with the women and children, so that they wouldn't have to die. And the children would have their fathers, grandfathers and uncles.

Anonymous said...

Yes, ladies should go first because you are second in line and they can play any sport that boys can play.
Taylor

Anonymous said...

Yes. I think ladies should go first because it is more better so thir job taking care of their family will be done.
Rima

Anonymous said...

I think it's not so much fun having
the phrase "Ladies First" because
there are times that you don't like it being used. Like when you're in a very long line in a shopping mall and somebody cuts in front of you saying "Ladies First". It gets VERY annoying!Though it is fun sometimes, like if someone holds the door for you, but besides that it isn't too fun.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I think ladies should go first because it is more better so thir job taking care of their family will be done.
Rima

Anonymous said...

I think it is no fair that girls are first and boys have to do everything like to open stuff for girls. Even though I am a girl I still think it is not fair.
Tiffani

Anonymous said...

I think it's not fair to boys, because everytime you go some place and some girl says "ladies first" you will be unhappy. Sometimes you should not be first because something bad might happen, like if there's a fire near the front of a line. It can still fun being last in line because nothing bad can happen, but what happens if they're giving away ice cream and they run out when they get to the last person.

Anonymous said...

I think that what the people on the Titanic did was fair but at the same time I think that it was unfair.I think it's fair because woman born babies and start a new generation. I think that it's unfair because men are equal to ladies and should start saying men first. Hana

Anonymous said...

I think ladies should not always go first because its not fair for the men.

Anonymous said...

The rule: Ladies first is fair because a long time ago 85% people thought that men do more cooler and better jobs so thats why I think "Ladies first" is fair.

Anonymous said...

I think that ladies should go fist because if men went fist they would push through the door.
Stephon

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hold a door open for women and it's also proper to let them get their lunch first. But it's also the right thing to do to be polite and not bud in front of others without asking.